Mexican Stuffed Peppers
Grain and Dairy Free
(makes 6 servings)
- 6 bell peppers, cut in half long ways with insides removed
- 1 lb. chorizo
- 1 medium yellow or sweet onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced with insides removed
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 cup frozen riced cauliflower
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- Salt and Pepper (S&P)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Optional toppings: your fav salsa, chopped cilantro, nutritional yeast
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown chorizo in pan. (I like cast iron to get that good crispiness.)
- Meanwhile, parboil bell peppers in a big pot full of water for about 3-5 minutes, until just tender. Remove, drain, and line up in baking dish, open side up. Season with S & P.
- Once chorizo is cooked, remove from pan to drain and set aside.
- Return pan to stovetop and add onion, jalapeño, and a little extra virgin olive oil if necessary. Season with S & P and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Once onion and jalapeño are tender, add zucchini and riced cauliflower, seasoning again with S & P.
- Add tomatoes, black beans, chili powder, and cumin. Mix well and sauté for an additional 3-5 minutes. Return chorizo to pan and mix well.
- Stuff pepper halves full with chorizo mixture. Bake in oven for about 10-15 minutes to fully cook peppers and let everything come together.
- Top with whatever you like and enjoy!