Turkey and Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1-2 inch cubes
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 Tbsp. almond flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp. (paleo, if desired) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- APPROX 1/2 cup of almond milk (depends on size/amount of potatoes!)
- S & P
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Boil sweet potatoes until soft for mashing (about 10 minutes) and drain.
- While the potatoes are boiling, brown the turkey in a fat of your choice (EVOO, ghee, coconut oil…), being sure to season with S & P. Once cooked thoroughly, transfer turkey to a plate and set aside.
- Add more fat to the pan and sauté the carrots and onions, seasoning with S & P, until soft.
- Add the garlic and the peas and sauté for a couple minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the almond flour, mixing well, and let cook for a couple minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the turkey back into the pan, along with the Worcestershire, rosemary and thyme, and turn heat down to simmer until the sauce thickens.
- To finish the potatoes, mash them with the coconut oil and almond milk. Add the milk SLOWLY, paying attention to the consistency of the potatoes. You may not need to use the full 1/2 cup. Season with salt.
- Put the turkey mixture into a square baking dish and top with the mashed sweet potatoes.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes. After the 25 minutes, turn the oven up to broil in order to brown the potatoes slightly. Don’t let it burn!
- Enjoy this delicious and healthy comfort food as much as I do!