Spaghetti Squash Burrito Bowl
(Feeds 2-4, makes two “bowls”)
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Manchego cheese (I chose this sheep-milk cheese because I can’t do cow or goat milk products…but pick your personal favorite here!)
- diced avocado for topping
- chopped cilantro for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 to roast the squash. Slice squash in half lengthwise (hot dog style!). Scoop out the seeds and discard. Rub EVOO on the inside of each half, sprinkle with S & P, and place on a baking sheet, cut-sides down. Cook in oven for around 40 minutes or until tender enough to pull “spaghetti” strands out with a fork.
- Meanwhile, sauté the onion and pepper in a healthy fat of your choice (i.e. EVOO or Ghee). I’m on a major Ghee (clarified butter) kick right now. It’s amazing! Cook for several minutes until softened.
- To the onion and peppers, add corn, black beans, tomatoes, spices, and green onion. Mix well and heat through.
- Pull out the strands of spaghetti squash with a fork (leaving enough squash attached to the skins to help the “bowls” maintain their form). Incorporate the squash strands into the filling mixture.
- Refill both squash bowls with the filling mixture.
- Top each squash half with 1/4 cup cheese and broil until cheese is melted (watch closely!)
- Remove from oven. Top with avocado and cilantro. EAT! Feel good for eating delicious, nutritious food.