I recently was sick for more than a month. What started as a nasty flu-like virus turned into a bad respiratory infection which turned into an annoying sinus infection. I felt like I had been doing everything right (washing hands, eating relatively well, taking vitamins and supplements, etc…), but I just couldn’t seem to get better. Then a good friend of mine recommended a version of this detox tea to me. Of course, I knew about the tea and about the benefits of its ingredients but had never given it the ole college try. So…..
Out of desperation, I immediately made the tea, drank a cup, and felt better than I had in a month. My sinuses cleared, and my energy returned. I felt closer to normal than I had felt in weeks. Was this tea the cure-all, end-all solution to my ailment? Of course not. But I sure learned a lot from it…I learned that taken daily, it is a very powerful contribution to living the well-life that I strive to live. I now have a cup once a day, typically during that early afternoon “tired-time.” It’s been the perfect complement to my daily routine!
***This recipe makes a concentrated form of the tea. I typically refrigerate the entire batch (a week’s worth) in a large Mason jar and just pour about 1/4 cup into a mug before drinking. I then add the juice from half of a lemon and top the rest of the mug off with purified water. I add local honey to balance out the acidity from the lemon and the heat from the cayenne. This can be taken hot or cold, whichever you prefer. I prefer hot.
Daily Detox Tea
- 6 cups water
- Large piece of fresh ginger (6″ or so), peeled and chopped
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 Tbsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (less or more to taste)
- lots of lemons 😉
- local honey
- Put water in pot and add ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, and cayenne. Bring to boil.
- Turn down to simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Let cool, then strain into Mason jar.
- To drink, add 1/4 cup of mixture to mug, add juice from half a lemon, and fill the rest of mug with water. Heat, if desired, and add honey to taste. Refrigerate remaining mixture for up to a week.