POTATO LEEK SOUP (Serves 4)
2 Tbsp. butter
2 leeks (whites only), thoroughly rinsed and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
4 cups low sodium chicken stock
1 bay leaf
2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 cup half and half
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt butter in large soup pot and sauté leeks and celery over medium heat until soft, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the potatoes, chicken stock, bay leaf, and thyme and boil until potatoes are soft, about 15-20 minutes.
3. Fish out the bay leaf and thyme sprigs.
4. Blend with an immersion blender until smooth. You may also transfer to a standard blender to purée, returning the soup to the pot when done.
5. Add half and half and bring to simmer until thickened.
6. Make sure to taste and add salt and pepper as necessary.